The mandated reporter training is met by completing the 2-hour online training provided by the Office of Child Abuse Prevention in the State Department of Social Services at this link: https://mandatedreporterca.com/training/volunteers.
All Registered BSA Volunteer positions and Employees including camp staff must comply with AB506. In addition, other volunteers who are 18 years of age or older and who have direct contact with, or supervision of, children for more than 16 hours a month or 32 hours per year.
After completing your training, please upload the training certificate to your council using the appropriate council link below.
Unsure of you Council? CLICK HERE
AB-506 VOLUNTEER PROCESS
Volunteers and staff must be registered members of the BSA.
1. REQUIRED STATE MANDATED REPORTER TRAINING
• All Employees, Registered Adult Volunteers, and Regular Volunteer positions identified as requiring training shall complete California-mandated training (2 hours) beginning January 1, 2022. The training is available at https://mandatedreporterca.com/training/volunteers
Regular Volunteer means a volunteer with the BSA who is 18 years of age or older and who has direct contact with, or supervision of, children more than 16 hours per month or 32 hours per year.
NOTE: This training is in addition to BSA Youth Protection Training.
2. STATE TRAINING COMPLETED
• Upload your state Mandated Reporter Training Certificate to your Council. Click on your Council’s link below.
• Upload the Background Check Consent Form (CLICK HERE to Download) to your council. Click on your council’s link below.
• Unsure of your Council? Links to your Council’s upload portal can be found here: CLICK HERE
3. LIVE SCAN BACKGROUND CHECK
Option 1 (no paperwork)
• Complete the transaction by visiting https://ApplicantServices.com/CaliforniaScouting and click on button representing your Council.
• Each individual must pay online a fixed fingerprint rolling fee of $26 and FBI background check fee ($17)
Option 2 (must complete and bring Live Scan form)
• Fill out the Request for Live Scan Service form below.
• Find the Live Scan site nearest you https://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints/locations
• Bring the complete Request for Live Scan Service form to a service provider. It is critical that you use your Council’s Live Scan form, as it includes your Council’s routing information for your background check.
• Each individual must pay a fingerprint rolling fee ($20 – $40) and FBI background check fee ($17) to the Live Scan service provider.
Thank you for completing this important process. Together, we are providing a safe Scouting program for thousands of youth across California.